(Make it gluten free by using GF oats and add a bit of cornstarch instead of flour)
- 2 apples (recommended: Fuji or McIntosh)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, cold and diced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup oats, uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- Vanilla ice cream
- ½ bottle Gourmet Inspirations Salted Caramel Whisky sauce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut each apple in half along its equator. Using a melon baller, cut out each side of the core, creating a rounded hole. Rub exposed apple flesh with lemon juice. For the topping: in a small bowl mix together flour, butter, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon and salt. Press this mixture on the top of each apple. Place in a baking dish filled with about a 1/4-inch of water. Bake until top is golden brown and apple is tender, about 35 to 40 minutes. Enjoy warm, finished with a slathering of Salted Caramel Whisky sauce and vanilla ice cream!