Steak Tacos with Creamy Peppercorn Whisky Sauce
10 Jul 2020
1 lb skirt steak
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp sugar
Pink salt and freshly ground pepper
Eight 6-in. corn tortillas
1 tbsp canola oil
1 medium red onion, halved and cut into 1/4 in. thick slices
Gourmet Inspirations Creamy Peppercorn Whisky Sauce, sour cream, guacamole, salsa verde, pico de gallo, shredded Mexican-blend cheese and cilantro for serving
1. Cut the steak along the grain into 3-inch pieces, then slice each piece across the grain into 1/3 inch thick pieces. Toss the steak in a medium bowl with chili powder, oregano, sugar, 3/4 tsp salt and a few grinds of pepper.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in a clean dishtowel and microwave at 100 percent for 1 minute. Let sit, wrapped in the dishtowel, until ready to serve.
3. When the skillet is hot, add the oil. Add the seasoned steak in an even layer. Don’t stir for 2 minutes, then give the steak a good stir and let cook until browned, about 1-1/2 minutes more. Transfer the steak to a medium bowl.
4. Immediately add the onions to the skillet and stir until brown and slightly softened, about 1-1/2 minutes; transfer to the bowl with the steak and stir to combine.
5. Set up a taco bar with the steak and onions, wrapped tortillas, Gourmet Inspirations Creamy Peppercorn Whisky sauce, sour cream, guacamole, salsa verde, pico de gallo, cheese and cilantro.